This mountainous country attracts tourists not only with its stunning nature, but also with various holidays, which are celebrated here on a special scale. The local population honors the long-standing national traditions, so the celebrations in the country are unique and unique.
The most popular events in the country
The most important national holidays in Montenegro are:
- Independence Day - celebrated on May 21;
- The day of proclamation of Montenegro as an independent state - June 3;
- Day of statehood - July 13;
- Day of declaration of the state by the Kingdom - August 28.
Even in Montenegro, they love to celebrate New Year and Christmas holidays. They are the largest in Kotor, Podgorica and Budva. To celebrations are prepared in advance, so the hotel should book for a couple of months. Serious dates are:
- January 1 - New Year;
- January 6 - Christmas Eve;
- January 7 - Christmas, most revered by believers, on this day they eat nuts and fruits, and they wash down with raki;
- On January, 13th - old New year, on a table pies from a kajmak and corn dough serve.
If you want to get to the festival in Montenegro, then you can come here at any time of the year. Every month in one of the cities of the country there are necessarily any celebrations. In winter, except for New Year's holidays, such events are still popular:
- Masliniada - is held in December in the Bar. At this time, costumes and fairs of local olives and olives are arranged.
- Chicken Christmas or St. Ignatius the God-bearer Day - The first guest who comes into the house becomes a "chicken anointed." He is put on a pillow so that a man can carry an egg, and then give a pumpkin, which must be broken so that the seeds fly as far as possible.
- Days of bleaching and wine - pass on the coast of Skadar Lake with tasting of alcoholic drinks and traditional dishes from fish.
- Holiday of Mimosa in Montenegro - is marked by the arrival of spring, lasts about a month and is annually held in Herceg Novi, Kotor and Tivat. These days wine tastings, flower shows, processions of majorets, various shows and concerts, fish evenings are arranged.
- Hot winter in the mountains - The holiday is arranged in mountain settlements and in ski resorts. In addition to numerous shows and concerts, international competitions are also held.
The festival of mimosa in Montenegro in 2017 will be held from January 28 to February 19.
Spring in Montenegro
With the onset of spring, the theme of holidays changes, nature revives, the sea warms up. There are sports and cultural events in the country, the most grandiose of them are:
- Days of Camellias - are held in March in the cities of Kotor and Stoliv. In this period, here arrange exhibitions of these flowers, concerts and a ball, on which the main lady is chosen.
- NARS - Theater Festival in Herceg Novi.
- Spring Masquerade - is held in Budva, it attracts several thousand tourists from all over Europe.
- Easter - one of the most loved and revered religious holidays in the country. In the evenings, parties are held: "varosh" or "Narodni Sabor".
- International cycling race and rally of bikers - are held in the Bar, the starting point is Italy.
- Carnival and souvenir fair - takes place in May in the city of Budva.
- St. Basil's Day - note on May 12. Pilgrims from all over the world come to Ostrog monastery, in the courtyard of which they break a tent town.
- Football beach tournament - is held in Ulcinj on the sandy coast.
Summer in Montenegro is considered the most intense period when the country is visited by the largest number of tourists. This is one of the main reasons why locals conduct a variety of activities. The most interesting of them are:
- Dance International Festival - a prestigious and popular contest held in Budva.
- Festival of Underwater Films - takes place in the city of Kotor.
- The Barskaya Chronicle - one of the largest fairs in the Bar.
- Solar staircases - a music festival in Herceg Novi.
- Kotorska summer fiesta - a famous festival, which attracts famous performers of the country.
- Bokelsky night - Festival-procession from boats decorated with bright lights. It takes place in Kotor and is accompanied by concerts and great fireworks.
- Ex-Yu Fest Film Festival - is held in Podgorica.
- Tivat cultural summer - a festival, which attracts many celebrities.
- International festival in honor of alternative theater, which is called FIAT, is held in the capital of Montenegro.
- Sailing regatta - is held in the cities of Herceg Novi and Tivat.
- Fish Night - a tourist holiday, which is arranged on the beach of the city of Ulcinj. Guests are offered an interesting entertainment program, freshly prepared fish dishes, as well as wine and beer.
What is celebrated in the fall?
In the first half of autumn in Montenegro there are many more beach lovers, and at the end of the second - come wishing to go skiing and snowboarding. Also at this time throughout the country harvest, young people arrange wedding ceremonies, and athletes - competitions. The most interesting holidays at this time of year are:
- International Film Festival - It takes place in Mojkovac.
- Tennis Tournament - a holiday, which is also played by popular music groups. It begins in Budva, and then passes in other cities.
- Podgorica-Danilovgrad International marathon with a large number of participants.
- Halloween - the largest scale is held in the Bar. The main square of the city turns into a costume show, where both children and adults take part.
- Meetings under the old olive tree - a children's literary holiday, the main theme of which is friendship and peace between people.
- Topolica - a grandiose karate tournament.
- Festival in Montenegro «Age of Happiness or good for 50"- runs from September 30 to October 9 and represents a congress of successful people who have achieved much, already overcoming the 50-year-old age. They share their experience and methods, have fun, make new acquaintances, make plans and help each other. Every year the holiday is getting brighter, and more and more participants.
- Festival of balloons in Montenegro - is an international competition that takes place annually in different cities of the country between the countries of Austria, Ukraine, Russia, Slovenia, Spain and Hungary. In addition to flying, an exhibition of photographs and a film about local aviation are also being held.
Montenegro is rich not only in picturesque nature, but also in the national spirit of the people. Being in the country, it is necessary to visit a festival or a holiday, so that your holiday is complete and remembered for many years.