Incredible endurance and in some way you need to have the courage to travel calmly and without unnecessary nerves across Australia. But neither the numerous legends about demons and spirits, nor the real facts about huge spiders and creeping reptiles are able to discourage the many tourists who visit this continent every year. And if you are among such brave souls, then be sure that your risk will be rewarded in full - amazing nature, beauty of cities and the color of local customs. A kind of a highlight on the map of Australia is the city of Darwin and its sights, because the civilization and ancient beliefs of the aborigines here exist in close symbiosis, as colorfully as possible giving an idea of the country and its traditions.
Darwin for tourists
Darwin and its attractions is an indispensable point in the routes of most tours around Australia. Such popularity is easy to explain, because in the vicinity of the city there are several unique national parks, which are the best able to discover and acquaint with the flora and fauna of the continent. In addition, in the city itself there are several significant places that the tourist will find curious and entertaining. But in order not to get confused and to clear up everything for myself, in this article we will try to outline the main attractions of Darwin.
So, the top 9 most famous and visited places in Darwin:
- National park "Kakadu". This is a truly unique and amazing place. In addition to the rich diversity of flora and fauna, you can admire the amazing landscapes, take a photo against the backdrop of waterfalls, make a wish in one of the caves. The national park Kakadu was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Litchfield National Park. This landmark is very popular. This park is in no way inferior to its predecessor, and will also please you as an abundance of flora and fauna, and the number of amazing corners of nature. The area of the steam zone occupies about 1500 square meters. m, and there is also a reservation for Aboriginal tribes. For the convenience of tourists, asphalted roads are laid to the main landmarks of the park.
- Coastal park "Casuarina". This is one of the favorite places for recreation with the local population. The park is comfortably located between the deltas of the Rapid Creek and Buffalo Creek rivers, and its location is dictated by a variety of living creatures and vegetation. For tourists here in the park there are excellent conditions - from bicycle paths and cozy arbors, to specially equipped campsites.
- National park "Nitmiluk". This area is known to many thanks to the main attraction - the Catherine Gorge, which impresses with its size and appearance. In its structure it is 13 gorges, which are connected by the river Catherine. In addition, the well-known Edith Falls waterfalls are also located here. Of course, swimming in this area is prohibited, but rafting along the river in a canoe is quite possible.
- War Museum of Darwin. Initially, the main exposition of the museum was devoted solely to artillery troops, but eventually affected the navy and the air force as a whole. Here, military technology is found not only in Australia, but also in the United States, as well as in other allied countries. In the external design of the museum, these fortifications are involved, which only adds to the feelings of reality.
- Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory. This is the name of the main museum of local lore. Its exposition includes traditional ritual subjects of Aboriginal tribes, as well as objects of everyday life, culture and history of this area as a whole. Among the main exhibits - a huge crocodile, which for a long time terrorized the local population with terrible attacks on boats and boats
- The islands of Tivi. Just 40 km from Darwin there are two amazing islands - Batarst and Melville. Their total area is more than 8,000 square meters. km, and lives here only 2500 people. However, it is here that one can understand the ancient traditions and culture of the aborigines of Australia. In addition, the islands of Tivi are a haven for some rare species of animals.
- Regatta «Beer Can». It's no secret that it's not about the place, but about the event. Every year since 1974, thousands of tourists gather in Darwin, and build improvised boats from any improvised materials, whether it's empty cans of cola or milk. Such ships do not specifically pass the test for durability, as the collapse of the building under the general hooting is an invariable part of the fun.
- The entertainment center of Darwin. This is a kind of theater, but here the performances are given both in the traditional sense, and in a form somewhat unusual for us. In addition to various performances and ballet, this entertainment center hosts a striptease festival, shows various performances for kids, gives concerts of symphonic music, and arranges cabaret. Depending on the type of presentation, the main hall will be converted here, therefore capacity ranges from 270 to 180 seats.
However, it should not be mistaken to believe that this concludes the sights of Darwin, a famous city in Australia. There are a lot of different festivals held on quite extensive subjects. For example, the Garma Festival includes lessons of survival in the wild, Tiwi Grand Final is dedicated to Australian football, and the Darwin Festival opens for tourists all the cultural diversity of the city. Botanical Garden, Crocodile Park, Kullen Yacht Port - let these sights not be left out of your attention. Even an ordinary walk through the streets of the city will bring you a lot of pleasure and pleasant impressions.