New Year is a holiday that everyone loves, regardless of age. He is waiting with impatience, because it is the New Year's Eve that is shrouded in a special atmosphere. Traditions of the New Year originate in the distant past, and for many years they have changed little.
history of the holiday
The tradition to celebrate the New Year appeared in Ancient Rus and until the XV century. it was celebrated on March 1. Later it was postponed to September 1. And only according to the decree of Peter the Great, in 1700, the tradition began to celebrate the New Year on January 1. Back in those days, the houses were decorated with fir branches. But to put the tree in the houses began much later. Over time, this custom has become an integral part of winter festivities. This continued until 1918, and then for 35 years it was forbidden to plant a tree on this holiday. In the middle of XX century. the custom has returned and exists safely to this day. Smart Christmas tree became one of the New Year's symbols.
New Year - traditions and customs
For many years the holiday has acquired legends and signs that help in creating the mood:
- a rich and delicious table - a symbol of prosperity for the whole next year;
- to give gifts for this holiday became a habit since the XV century;
- it is believed that you need to pay all debts until December 31 of the year, otherwise you can be without money all year round;
- it was decided to celebrate New Year's Eve in new clothes to attract wealth and new ideas;
- if you do a general cleaning in the house and throw away old broken things, then illnesses and troubles will disappear;
- It's a habit to drink champagne this night from France, as well as many want a wish that should come true;
- fortune telling also became a part of the holiday from ancient times.
Each country has its own customs. So familiar to us, Santa Claus in America and England bears the name of Santa Claus, and in Italy, Babbo Natale distributes gifts to children. In each country, his magic character gives children joy.
But, of course, in each house there are family traditions for the New Year, which make the holiday special, and are also able to unite relatives and friends even more.